redesigned

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Time to Vent
Growing up, I had terrible posture. Horrible, even. But as I've grown up and become more aware of it, I've tried to improve. But it takes time. NO ONE who has grown up with good posture can relate to this process. It is emotionally very hard, especially because of being teased all through school. And we're not talking light teasing. We're talking hard-core drama-whole-class-involved-laughing-and-pointing cruelty.

I'm not stupid, I know it's not good to slouch. But understand this-it's not a conscious thing. When you've had a habit your whole life, it takes time to get over it. I've bought the posture-aides. I've worn things that hurt me physically more than help me. I've cried. I've begged God to "fix me". It just takes time.

I have improved immensly since grade school. MOST of the time, my posture is good. Why can't people acknowledge that instead of the times when I slip back into my old habits?

Why can't people (in general) love others how they are, instead of trying to change them? If my bad posture makes you so uncomfortable that you have to say something, it's your problem, not mine.

Is it too much to ask that people not feel the need to correct me by:
-physically pulling my shoulders back
-verbally pointing out my bad posture to everyone
-or (God forbid) poking my stomach?
My God! Do people really not realize how degrading and embarrasing that is?

God has given me some incredible friends. Those closest to me know that I'm trying really hard. I'm thankful for all of you. You know how to love me.

Okay, I'm done venting now. Anyone who reads this, do me a favor-no pity-filled comments, please. I don't want anyone's pity. I just want respect and the benefit of the doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home